Harvest mode is on!
Harvest has begun, new vintage Frici Noir and Napholdcsillag released, the first sweet wine is available and an introduction to RAW/ka, a project of two natural wines. Some recent updates for our foreign followers.
– The team has started the harvest, Chardonnay for the bottle harvested sparkling wine has already been picked, now Pinot Gris (‘Szürkebarát’) is the next. The grape is healthy, the vintage is promising.
– The new vintage of Frici Noir, the only red wine of the estate is on the shelves. Frici Noir 2021 fermented spontaneously in open vats for about three weeks. Aged in Hungarian oak barrel and they bottled it without clearing and filtering, with only a pinch of sulphur. Only two barrels were made, thus the quantity is really limited.
– RAW/ka is a new project of ours. It is a family of two wines, one is Ezerjó from Mór wine region, the other is Juhfark from volcanic Somló, where we have a small vineyard as well. Both grapes are flagship grapes of their region and both wines are made with the least possible intervention. Organic grapes, no clearing, no filtration, no sulphur – practically nothing added. The ageing takes at least a year, the latest vintage is still resting in the cellar. The name RAW/ka is a pun – raw refers to the natural aspect, and if we add -ka, we get a Hungarian word, ‘róka’, meaning fox, which might refer to the colour of the unfiltered wine, but -‘ka’ is also a suffix meaning little (diminutive), referring to the small scale of the project.
– ‘Napholdcsillag’ new vintage is released! The flagship blend of the cellar, Napholdcsillag 2021 is available at our Hungarian partners (Holnapottabor.hu ships abroad as well). The name means ‘SunMoonStar’ and it is the only blend of the cellar, the first wine of Krisztina. A blend of Chardonnay, Szürkebarát (Pinot Gris) and Ezerjó, a complex, exciting, elegant wine with vanilla, spices, citrus notes and tropical fruits.
– ‘Drágakő’, the first sweet wine of our cellar is available. ‘Drágakő’ means gem or precious stone and it is a 100% Olaszrizling wine from the volcanic Somló vineyard of the estate. Gentle pressing, quick processing, spontaneous fermentation in barrels and then stopping the fermentation with cooling. 70 g/l residual sugar and 7 g/l total acid.